Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Shawlette Success ~ Yarn Along

A post of my current read and what is cast on my needles ~ Inspired by Ginny over at {Small Things}

Shawl

I just loved knitting this little shawlette.
It was amazingly easy and a great little foray into the world of lace knitting and it knit up so quickly :)

Shawl

I haven't blocked it yet and I'm having second thoughts as to whether or not I actually want to. I sort of like the rippling wave along the bottom where the lace pattern is. What do you think?

I was also going to give it to my daughter right away but now I think I may keep it as a gift for christmas *grin*. So much indecision LOL. We were in the little yarn shop in the city together the other day and she was fawning over pretty little shawl pins and I thought it might be special to buy a nice pin for her and give it all as a gift. Oh and that is my little guy in the photos :) I paid him a quarter to model it for me and to keep it a super secret *grin*.

Yarn Along

Now that I'm falling back into my knitting groove I wanted to get another project on my needles right away and I've chose a little baby sweater called the Tummy Warmer and it has the most adorable little honeycomb stitch in it that my grandmother used to knit all the time. I'm going to put it away for when my sister has her baby in the spring. I don't know if it will be a girl but I'm going with pink anyways because I couldn't pass up this soft baby alpaca yarn :)

The owner of the yarn shop in the city that I go to must find me quite amusing to watch as I shop for yarn. I never have a specific yarn in mind when I go in so she can never really help me find anything and I don't shop by color either. I actually go around and around petting all the wool LOL. Yes, I really did say petting and when I finally find one that feels the best I pick a color. Strange I know but it works for me *grin*.

This week my book is Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness by Lisa M. Hamilton and I can't put it down so far. The author writes about 3 farmers that are incredibly small scale in relation to todays super farms but they choose to stay the way they are. Her writing paints a picture in my minds eye so vividly that I swear I could nearly smell the cow manure LOL.

I can't wait to finish reading it and I'm looking forward to seeing what you all are knitting this week!

Hugs,
Rosina

20 comments:

house full of jays said...

Rosina! Such a sweet shawl on your little guy. ;) And I love the tummy warmer pattern. So cute!

Lori ann said...

oh so adorable, i love the idea of including a shawl pin and gifting the set. i especially love the idea of your daughter loving a shawl and pin too. so sweet.
:)

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, this is so beautiful and I love the colourway:)

Andria said...

So pretty! I love how it looks without the blocking. That will be a wonderful present!

Jennifer Hoots said...

I would not change a thing about the shawlette. And, I love reading books about farmers. Seems to me the old, small farm is the wave of the future!

Becks said...

Oh no, don't block, the ruffle effect is lovely. I quite often have to "encourage" siblings to model for each others knits lol.
xx

Ellen said...

Such a lovely shawl - your daughter looks great in it! And yes, a shawl pin is such a nice little accompaniment. I saw that Tummy Warmer just yesterday - can't remember where but I bookmarked it on Ravelry. Looks very sweet.

Anke said...

The shawlette is beautiful! Your little girl will love it along with the pin. Great gift idea! Also, you're not the only one petting yarn in the store. I bet we're all "guilty" of that. :-)

charlotte said...

so utterly lovely! I completeley understand the petting!!

Cheryl said...

I am so smiling about your son modelling the shawl. Until you said, I was wondering how you would seperate the model from the shawl. A quarter seems to be the going rate!

I am so drawn to books on farming at the moment. I shall have to add your book to the list.

Forgot to say that I think the shawl is beautiful just as it is. Love the colour and the waves.

Paula said...

I think that is the way most of us knitters shop for yarn (except those who don't 'stash'). That's the problem I have with internet shopping. Unless I know the brand, I have a hard time buying yarn without touching it.

I love the shawl, it turned out beautifully. I don't know if I would bother blocking. I like the slight ruffle too.

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

I love the rippling waves effect too, so pretty!

Heather said...

That book sounds awesome! Right up my alley! I have been hit or miss with books recently, so I am glad to have an excellent recommendation!

Pumpkin Pie Baby said...

The shawl is so pretty and would make a perfect gift. And I love the color you chose for the tummy warmer. I shop for yarn much in the way you do. It's more fun that way!

nunu said...

well you have one pretty boy (like me i think...) because i thought your little girl gave it a whirl and i though boy that's gotta be tough to say you can't have this now until christmas! lol.. good thing you told us. i wouldn't block it. i think it's perfect the way it is!

Keri said...

I love the shawlette. So very pretty.

Open Roads Mama said...

wow, that's a beauty, I should seriously knit myself one of those in a bigger size ;) love the colours too! beautiful!

erin @ Wild Whispers said...

Beautiful!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Thank you everyone for all of your beautiful comments and I am definitely going to leave it untouched. I just love that soft wave at the bottom. Now I just have to manage to keep it hidden and not cave to my want to give it to her early *grin*.

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Beautiful!! Yes save this for Christmas and give it along with a shawl pin...so special and so sweet!!!