Monday, May 16, 2011

Rhubarb

Rhubarb

Rhubarb season is finally here and those bright red and juicy stalks are beckoning me *grin*.

Rhubarb Bloom

The extended cool and wet weather we have had this spring has really allowed them to burst from the ground with gusto and I found a giant bloom on one of my plants!

Rhubarb Bloom

Rhubarb blooms are really pretty when they open but I want my plants to continue to produce for a little while longer so I broke it off. The kids brought it into the house and we'll see if we can force it to open in a jar of water :)

Rhubarb Leaf

The leaves of the plants are poisonous so you can't eat them but they make a wonderful natural insect repellent for deterring cabbage worms, aphids and other things. Just throw a bunch of leaves into a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Pour the strained liquid into a spray bottle and treat any plants that have buggy problems!

Rhubarb

I think for now we'll just enjoy some of the raw stalks dipped in a little bit of sugar. A yummy way to enjoy this tart treat :)

Hugs,
Rosina

5 comments:

Jenn Erickson said...

Exquisite! As always, you're photography is beautiful, and I'm hoping I can find some rhubarb at our local farmers' market so I can try it dipped in sugar!

MissGinger said...

i LOVE rhubarb! gets pictures - enjoy!! xx

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Thanks for the tip in the Rhubarb leaves - we'll have to do that for sure. I'm pondering what to make with our rhubarb...

Paula said...

Our rhubarb is just about big enough to pick too. I can't wait for the first fruit of the season.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, rhubarb is one of my favorite fruits, one of the things that makes me actually glad to live in the colder north country. I didn't know about the rhubarb leaf insect repellent -- brilliant!