Friday, May 27, 2011

Rapids of Disaster

Nakwakto

I hadn't heard from Hubby since he left Monday morning until he phoned me late last night to let me know that he was okay.

There's an old saying that tugboating is hours of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror! Well Hubby had his moment. He spends a lot of his time working further north in Seymour Inlet and taking his log tows through the Nakwakto Rapids which have the fastest navigable currents in the whole world (according to the Guinness World Book of Records) and it just happened that the gear in his boat blew there. He had no control and had to cut his tow loose, watch it disappear and smash into pieces. Luckily they could throw down the anchor to hold them from heading into the rapids themselves.

I think I was in a bit of shock when he told me. They had been floating there for over 30 hours already and since phone service is sporadic at best it had been the first chance he could call to tell me what was happening. The other guys from the company were up there with them collecting bundles and working on rebuilding the tow and sometime this weekend they'll tow him back home. I am just so thankful that he is safe!

In 2007 another local tug company towing a barge through the rapids had a mishap when they were overtaken by the barge they were pulling and their tug was completely sunk. They managed to scramble aboard the barge as it hung off of the sunken boat and thankfully they were all found safe but what a scare!

I can't wait for him to come back home :)

Hugs,
Rosina

6 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm so happy he is safe...relieved without knowing I was stresed, actually...but so happy for all of you, you, your children,your husband. Thank goodness! Keep us updated please!

Amy Friend said...

Oh my goodness, how terrifying! I hope he will return home safely soon.

momma rae said...

how frightening! i am so glad that he is safe and you will have your arms around him again soon. ;)

Grace said...

Scary. So glad he is safe. I know you will feel much better when he is home.

Sweetness and Light said...

Oh Rosina, I am so glad to hear he's allright, terror indeed, wow! Here's hoping he's home safe soon. Many blessings, Meredith

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Oh My Gosh...you must worry all the time...I am so glad he is safe!!