Friday, October 22, 2010

Fall Colors

fall colors

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I’ll put a trinket on.


~ Emily Dickinson

I love the visual plethora that is fall with it's brightly colored crimsons, oranges and yellows. It's a feast for all of your senses. The sound of crunching leaves, the smell of wood fires, the touch of icy wind upon your cheeks, the flavors of pumpkin pies and harvest squash all molded into one lovely eye popping season of stunning color. Here are some of my fall photos from the last couple of days :)

Hubby's pumpkin

Hubby just can't seem to get enough of the miniature pumpkins even though I keep insisting that they won't be much fun to carve *grin*.

purple fairy club

Marveling in mother natures ability to create something as odd yet enchanting as the Purple Fairy Club mushroom.

Grapes

Munching on the what's left of the grapes after the bear raided them the other night.

fall fun

Taking advantage of the dry days that are coming less and less and watching the kids roar around on their bicycles.

This time of year just beckons to be explored. We have been keeping our eyes open for woolly bear caterpillars, orange fairy cup fungi and others and the chance to pick wild mushrooms like chanterelles for soups and stews :) Summer has it's own special moments but the cooler months are much more dear to me.

How about you, what is your favorite part of fall?

Hugs,
Rosina

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I the the cooler weather too...enjoy your Autumn days. Love the mini pumpkin...it is so adorable...Have fun exploring...have a blessed weekend..Hugs,Mica

Unknown said...

I meant I love the cooler weather...That sentence didn't come out right! hugs,Mica

Melissa said...

Wow, I have never seen the purple mushrooms before, how neat-o! Fall is perfect for exploring because not only are things changing at an exponentially fast rate, the temperatures are cool enough to go faster (for the younger ones) and longer. I hope you have a few more dry days ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE Emily Dickenson. Her words feed my soul. I too love the smell of firewood burning, and the smell of leaves drying. The coolness in the air that hits the back of your throat when you take a deep breath in - divine.

Those purple mushrooms are wild. They look as though they belong in the sea. Very cool. Hugs -Debbie

Hideaway Girl said...

Fall is such a visual treat! I wish it wasn't so fleeting. A storm blew in this weekend and I can't believe how things have changed in only 24 hours. Bittersweet. Those purple fairy club mushrooms really are out of the world - never seen anything like them! So glad you stopped by to say Hi!

Natalie