Saturday, July 31, 2010

Picking Blueberries

Picking Blueberries

A few weeks ago when picking up my eggs from the lady down the road I learned that she grew blueberries and every year after she picked what she needed for the winter she let others come and pick. Well you knew that I was going to be all over that! *grin*

Picking Blueberries

So this weekend we headed over with our buckets and I brought along my oldest son to help out and we set to work.

Picking Blueberries

They were giant bushes nearly 7 feet high as I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach the berries on the very top branches and they were just loaded with berries. I've never seen such big berries and even the slightly under ripe ones were sweet :)

Picking Blueberries

So far we have picked two pails full and I'm hoping to get another 1 or 2 if I can but if not I'm still happy with what we were able to get :) One great perk to picking our own is I know they weren't sprayed with any pesticides and I was able to pick out all of the stems if we pulled any off the bush. That way I know I can just use them later without worrying about checking for any unwanted bits :)

I see a lot of blueberry muffins & pancakes in our future *grin*.

~ Rosina

5 comments:

Unknown said...

okay I will be right over...hee hee... Those look divine!!!!! Enjoy! Mica

Anonymous said...

argh, I have more trouble than not posting with open ID on blogger. I have time to repost but usually I'm on the fly. I'm going to post anonymously from now on.

So good to see you enjoying your summer! I hope to get out and pick blueberries soon. Our summer is not going as planned. But I'm optimistic.

I've canned blueberry pie filling too. soo yummy.

~Cori

Sandpiper said...

Blueberries are my favourite summer berry! They're so versatile too. Yum!

Debbie said...

I too am having blogger problems. Makes it hard to connect with friends when blogger won't let you leave a comment. Anyway...

Blueberries - I'm posting a recipe next week (as part of the local challenge I'm doing) and you aren't going to want to miss it. :) -Debbie

Anonymous said...

Blessings this wonderful Sunday evening! I pray that you had a relaxing weekend and for a week filled with His blessings forthcoming.

Because of His Grace,
~Tamara