Friday, July 16, 2010

Kohlrabi Fries ~ Recipe

kohlrabi fries

I don't know why I've never tried growing Kohlrabi in my garden, I eat it all the time! It's sort of alien looking with it's white bulbous bottoms and leggy appendages growing out of it all over the place but it is fabulous eaten raw, grated in salads and now as fries :)

kohlrabi fries

I know you're probably thinking how in the world did I figure I could turn that into fries *grin*. Everyone these days seems to be roasting sweet potatoes or yams, cauliflower and who knows what else in order to replace the good ol' potato and I thought why not Kohlrabi?! LOL.

It's a member of the cabbage family and personally I think that when eaten raw it tastes sort of spicy like a radish and we love radishes so they are a huge hit here plus they pack a wallop of vitamins in each crispy bite.

kohlrabi fries

To prepare your kohlrabi for roasting you treat it like a turnip. Cut off all of the leaves, slice off the top and the root ends so it balances nice and flat on your cutting board and slice off all of the outer skin. Don't be to skimpy when peeling as it can be a little woody under that tough skin if you don't peel enough off.

kohlrabi fries

Next you just slice it into roughly 1/2 to 3/4 inch sections and then across each of those sections just as if you were cutting up potatoes for french fries. No different at all.

kohlrabi fries

Toss with a little olive oil, salt & pepper and roast them on a greased pan at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until they are tender and golden brown just like mine in the above picture.

YUM!! When my father was a young boy in Austria they grew these by the truckload on the farm and they would eat them raw all the time so it was a great treat to bring some for him at lunch time :)

Trust me, you've got to try these at least once. If you bake yours a different way let me know. I would love to know! P.S. Check out the Wholesome Whole Foods weekly link roundup for more great recipes and articles :)

~ Rosina

9 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Hmm, I love this vegetable! We have 'em too in our garden. I'll post a recipe with them soon! I need to try yours though! ;) Nomnom! Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

I have never even heard or seen tat before...Looks interesting and actually looks like fries...If I came across one i would certainly at least try it... P.S thanks for your visit and comments. I do not subscribe to Beautiful Girlhood...I didn't know they had a magazine. We have the book and companion for it. We have been reading from it, but feel we may have to go back in a couple years since some of it may be for girls a bit older. Freckles has enjoyed it though...it is a special time when we read together. Have a great weekend...Mica

Anonymous said...

I have never seen or heard of this. How interesting!

I was just thinking of you today and wanted to stop by, catch up on some reading and let you know I was here.

Have a lovely weekend,
~Tamara

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! I've been seeing kohlrabi everywhere at the market; will pick some up and tries these out. They look *so* good.
I've been eating sweet potato fries for decades... and they are by far my favourite. BUT...I'm really looking forward to trying these. -Debbie

Michelle (Health Food Lover) said...

Hi Rosina.

Great recipe. Those chips looks really yummy and crispy! I love veggie chips! I've never had Kohlrabi, though everyone seems to be blogging about it lately (must be in season for all you Northern Hempispherians lol). I'm gonna keep an eye out for it!

Thanks so much for liking up to Wholesome Whole Foods and it would be great to see you again next Friday.

Michelle.

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

We love kohlrabi cut matchstick thin in a pickled salad with carrots and red peppers, and so I'm really excited to try the oven fries! Stop by my blog for lots of crafty fun, I'd love to see you there!

Jennifer Hoots said...

Wow, that is new to me! I wonder if they are at my farmer's market. I plan to go this Saturday, if we are able. :-)

tongfengdemao said...

Yum!

~Faith
Sew Many Blessings
Needle & Fabric Art
airycat at airynothing dot net

LindyLou said...

These kohlrabi "fries" have been on my mind since I read this but it's taken me this long to remember to buy some of those space alien-looking vegetables at the market.
Tonight we will feast!
Thank you for posting this.